Your First Visit
Your first appointment is an important two-way communication between the team at Gainesville Dental Arts (GDA) and yourself in order to discover all the concerns you might have about your mouth, whether large or small. While ensuring you are fully at ease.
We provide our patients with gentle, high quality care. We strive to make every dental appointment comfortable and stress-free.
What you should expect at first visit
- A conversation with our team to learn about your dental concerns, needs, and expectations.
- A thorough dental exam and evaluation.
- Digital Oral X-rays and Oral cancer screening with Velscope.
- Check for any abnormalities, such as lumps, bumps or swelling.
- Evaluate your overall health and oral hygiene.
- Look at your neck, muscles and glands in your neck (Extra oral).
- Check your mouth- cheeks, palate and tongue (Intraoral).
- Jaw joint, Your bite.
- Condition of gums- (BPE, full pocket chart or BOP).
- Evaluate your risk of tooth decay, root decay, and gum or bone disease.
- Evaluate your need for tooth restoration or tooth replacement.
- Remove any stains or deposits on your teeth.
- Assess your need for fluoride.
- If this appointment is for a cleaning, it will entail cleaning and polishing your teeth, checking your teeth and gums for any cavities or early signs of tooth decay or gingivitis.
- Teeth cleaning may be performed during your first visit, or might be scheduled for a follow-up visit depending on the condition of your teeth and gums.
- In some cases we might recommend making a dental impression of one or both jaws to produce a replica of your teeth and oral tissue. This can help the dentist or hygienist evaluate your bite or make a mouth guard or bleaching trays.
- After reviewing your x-rays, your dental and medical history will be discussed and an oral exam will be performed in order to check the soft tissue, gums, teeth and existing restorations, and look for decay. We will suggest a complete and comprehensive treatment plan that’s right for you. We address immediate problems and provide recommendations for long-term oral health so small issues today don’t turn into big problems in the future.
Following your initial exam, a member of our skilled team will meet with you to evaluate exams performed and discuss further treatment options if any. We create personalized dental plans to address your individual oral health care requirements. Should you require additional treatment, we will discuss the options, pricing, and answer any questions you may have.
Your first appointment will take between 1–1½ hours. Patients under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent.
Items to Bring to Your First Dental Visit
Our team at Gainesville Dental Arts requests that new patients arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the first visit and bring the following information:
- Patient-Registration Form, if Possible.
- Any recent dental X-rays you may have.
- Any previous dental records in your possession.
- If you have dental insurance, please bring your dental insurance card and a photo ID.
- List of medications you are taking currently.
Regular Checkups are an Important Part of Maintaining a Healthy Smile!
The American Dental Association recommends visiting your dentist every six months for regular checkups and routine teeth cleanings to keep your teeth and gums healthy.